Thursday, May 2, 2013

Chocolate Ricotta Mint Chocolate Chip with a Chocolate Ganache and a Mint Buttercream

Ok so I'm very excited about this recipe. It is my very own baby I dreamed up. After watching Cupcake Wars one day dreaming of cupcake flavors, with my husband and my birthday and my graduation all in 12 days I had celebration on the mind. Who can blame me?

One thing about Edgar and I both is we LOVE mint chocolate chip ice cream. I started toying with that trying to think about different ways to make that into a cupcake.  Well It eventually hit me! DUH my chocolate ricotta cupcake with andes mint pieces in it...

Like I said I was watching Cupcake Wars and if you have ever seen that show first: I think its sensational! Second, I am amazed by all of the talent in that show!  Finally I want to be that creative and fancy! So I decided I was going to give the ganache filling a shot :) 

So then the planning began and here is what I made:

Chocolate Ricotta Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes


1 cup ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon mint flavor
1 stick softened unsalted butter
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups Andes chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.

2. Whisk together the dry ingredients (not including the mint chocolate chips) in a medium bowl. Set aside.
 
 
 

3. Mix the ricotta cheese, then beat in the eggs. Add the milk, vanilla, mint and butter. Mix well.
 
4. Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the ricotta cheese mixture, and mix to combine.
 
 
5. Fold in the Andes chocolate chip pieces.
 
 
 
 

6. I use a 1/4 cup (dry measuring cup) to scoop batter into prepared tins.
 
7. Bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
 
8. Cool on wire racks. Core the cupcakes if you plan to put the ganache in there!
 
 
 
Chocolate Ganache Filling

 
1/4 c. heavy cream
1 T. light corn syrup
pinch of salt
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips  
 
1. Place all ingredients a medium saucepan.  Stir constantly over medium-high heat until Ganache is smooth. 
 
2. Remove from heat. Let sit for 20 minutes stirring halfway through.
 
 
 
3. Spoon into cupcakes.

 
Mint Buttercream
 
1 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature 
3 c. powdered sugar
pinch of kosher salt
2 T. heavy cream
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 tsp. pure mint extract (not peppermint)
green food coloring


1. Cream room temperature butter, until fluffy
2. Add sugar and salt, mix on low until fully incorporated.
3. Then turn speed to high and mix until smooth. Then while mixing add cream, vanilla, mint, and food coloring.

 
 
Final Product:
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment