Friday, April 26, 2013

Simply Seared Scallops!

I know I said I'd be making the Cornish Hens and I promise I will...tomorrow.

Today I had a very busy day; I ended up staying in Huntsville visiting with friends longer than anticipated so I needed a quick, easy plan! It also helped that Edgar and I were not that hungry.  So sorry guys no side tonight....This recipe was beyond simple and we had everything in the pantry/fridge already!!!  If we would have been hungry enough to add a side item I think a spinach salad with cashews and caramelized onions would have been perfect!  You could have even placed the scallops and sauce on top of the salad....yum!!!!

I love scallops but I dislike how fresh scallops make your entire house smell...FOR DAYS! So while at the store I bought frozen scallops. Now I typically like to keep our food fresh but fish is just one of those things I can't stand how smelly it can be...Maybe one day I'll move past that...But for now any fish I cook you can assume it will be frozen.


Here is our raw thawed scallops

One great thing about thawing scallops is it takes about 30 minutes.  I placed the scallops in a Ziploc bag and put them in a sink with some water.  Another thing if using frozen scallops make sure you drain the scallops after thawing and pat dry with a few paper towels.

Simply Seared Scallops

3 tablespoons  all purpose flour
1/2  teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 1/2 pounds scallops
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup white wine  (I used Relax Riesling)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large Ziploc bag, add scallops.  Seal bag, shake to coat scallops.


Putting the coating to make the scallops turn golden!

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops, cook about 3-4 minutes on each side or until done. (Make sure you are careful when turning the scallops otherwise the crisp crust will come off). Remove from pan and keep warm.




YUM!  I was so ready to try these at this point

3. Add wine and balsamic vinegar to pan; cook for 3 minutes stirring to thicken the sauce (it won't thicken too much).


Starting the Wine and Vinegar sauce

4. Add scallops back to the pan and CAREFULLY mix the sauce with the scallops after about a minute remove from heat and serve!
Once I added the scallops back in

Prep: 6 minutes (36 if using frozen scallops)
Cook: 10 minutes!!

Here are the finished scallops


Check back tomorrow I will be making the Cornish Hens for sure!

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep fresh fish from smelling up the entire house (or atleast the fridge)?  How do you like your scallops?











No comments:

Post a Comment