Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Greek Lamb Chops with Roasted Asaparagus drizzled with Balsamic Bowned Butter

Ok so while I was at the grocery store I ran across some Lamb Loin Chops. Now I have never tried lamb much less cooked so this was me going out on a limb. My husband always talks about how much he likes lamb and so I figured I'd try to cook some for him and see what he thought, and how I felt about it.

Before I go any further I'll tell you the outcome: "Fantastic best dinner cooked yet!"-Edgar.  I was pumped because I hadn't had a bite yet, but Man did it turn out fantastic!  The lamb was tender and juicy! The asparagus was crunchy with and delicious with the sauce I put over it!!!

Also I choose to make the Lamb Chops first to give them time to rest after cooking. Typically I let the meat rest about 5 minutes covered. (Edgar taught me about allowing meat to rest) These were able to rest a little long since I had to cook the asparagus after.

Greek Lamb Chops
 
1 Tablespoon dried Oregano
1 1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 Lamb Loin Chops, trimmed
Cooking Spray

1. Preheat broiler.

2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl. I also lightly seasoned the lamb chops with salt and pepper on each side of the chops. Now that the chops have been lightly seasoned, rub the mixed ingredients onto the lamb chops.

3. Now for the fun part (Or I thought so). So we don't have a broiling pan just yet, so I made a makeshift broiling pan out of a cookie sheet and a baking rack. Make sure to coat your pan with cooking spray either way! (Just so you are aware if you choose to use this method its possible you will warp your cookie sheet). Place seasoned Lamb Chops on your broiling pan (or your make shift broiling pan). Then I poured any remaining mixture over the tops of the chops.

4. Once in the oven set your timer for 4 minutes. When the timer goes off flip those babies and cook them for another 4 minutes.  After pulling them out of the oven I immediately pulled the Chops off the boiling pan and placed them on a plate and covered them in foil to allow them time to rest!

Prep: about 9 minutes
Cook: 8 minutes


 
During the last 4 minutes on the lamb chops, I began washing and prepping the asparagus. So I could get them in the oven ASAP! (I'm not very patient especially when it comes to food)


 
Lamb Chops right out of the oven
 
 
 
Allowing the Chops to rest while the asparagus was started and finished


 
Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Browned Butter
 
About 1 pound of asparagus
Cooking Spray
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2.Arrange asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet, coat with cooking spray (I use a butter flavored cooking spray). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes depending on thickness of asparagus.

3. Melt butter in small skillet over medium heat; cook for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. (About the time the asparagus was finished up I was finishing the sauce. I moved the asparagus to a small bowl and poured the sauce in and gave it a quick stir. Another option is to leave the asparagus on the cooking sheet and drizzle the sauce over the asparagus. (I think I will try the second method next time its a little less messy when eating). Serve immediately.


 
Finished asparagus mixed with the balsamic butter sauce.


 


Here is our final dinner right before we dug in!


Have you ever cooked lamb? If so how was your experience?

Make sure to check back I'll be making Cornish Hen next!  Another first for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment